Urology/urinary infection

Question
dr leslie,I am diabetic and developed lower urinary infection.doctor thinks it might be prostate infection due yto inflamned prostate.he gave me doxycycline.am worried about c-diff with antibiootics,is this highly curable or can it get serious and enter bllodstream.do antibiotics knock it out most of time even thou I have diabetes.my only symptom was frequent urination

Answer
Howard:

If your physician has diagnosed prostatitis, then doxycycline is a reasonable treatment.  Prostatitis can take quite a while to treat and often needs 4-6 weeks of antibiotics.  C-diff is possible with any antibiotics but quite rare with doxycycline.  Other treatments for prostatitis follow.

Typical Treatments for Prostatitis Include:
Avoid caffeine which irritates the prostate and bladder.
Hot sitz baths.  Sitting in a very hot tub for 10 minutes really seems to reduce pelvic pain, inflammation and discomfort.  We recommend twice or even three times a day for severe cases or flare-ups, but at least once a day for most prostatitis patients.
Avoid hot spices which tend to irritate the prostate.
Avoid sitting on hard surface; use an inflatable donut to spread the pressure away from the prostate.
Use NSAIDs like ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) or naprosyn (Aleve) to help reduce discomfort and inflammation.
Antibiotics as prescribed by your physician.  Typically, at least 4-6 weeks minimum is required.
Alpha blocker medications such as tamsulosin and alfuzosin will help relax muscle tension in the prostate and improve urinary flow.
Avoid high potassium foods that some people are sensitive to and which can be irritating.
Less alcohol and smoking.
Use quercetin which is a natural anti-inflammatory herbal supplement that has been shown to help reduce inflammation in the prostate.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD