Urology/37 yr old husband has low eGFR

I just wanted to ask some thoughts about what is going on with my husband.

My husband gets regular bloodwork every 6 months for a pituitary tumor so a couple months ago we started searching what his eGFR means (we never really searched it before and it was never brought to our attention by his endocrinologist)

We went back a few years and it's been ranging between 72-78 (up and down).

In our searches we read it should be over 100 or at least over 90 right now and that it will decline 1 point a year and now we are very worried about what will happen as he gets older. We are worried when he is in his 50s his eGFR will be in the 60s, then when he is in his 60s it will be even worse and so on.

Is it definite that his eGFR will lower like this (1 point a year) and he will be diagnosed with state 3 or even 4 later in life?

We are extremely worried as he has been through so much already.

Thank you in advance.

GFR is a measurement of the capacity of the kidneys.  It tends to slowly go down as we get older.  The "e" means "estimated" so it's not absolute.  

As long as his physician is checking it, that is usually sufficient.

It is not certain that the GFR will necessarily lower and result in renal failure later.

In younger men, this is often misleading as the estimates are just that; estimates.

This is a question that should be directed to a nephrologist as it really is in their area of specialty.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute