You are here:

Urology/Desensitized penis



My partner has had surgery on his penis twice in his life, once when he was younger and another when he was 15ish, to relocate his urethra (was pointing down when was born, he is now in his 30's and has had this issue since forever). He now experiences desensitization during sex and sometimes cannot keep it up. It has also has effected his sex drive. I was wondering if there is anything available to resensitize the area?
As you could imagine, surgery is out of the question.

Would appreciate any advice.



There may be some treatments for help with maintaining the erection, but there is no specific remedy for decreased sensation.  Sometimes we recomment vitamin B-6 as it is helpful to nerve function.  He should check with his local physicians to make sure there isn't some other identifible underlying cause.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stephen W. Leslie, MD


Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.


Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Awards and Honors
Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute

©2017 All rights reserved.