Urology/ejaculation without erection

Question
My husband is one year out from catastrophic cancer removal surgery, which left him with a lifelong colostomy.  The prior year he had undergone chemo and radiation treatment for the cancer, which was located on his behind near his rectum.

Until a month ago, sexual function was normal and very satisfying, despite the bag that he thought would be a problem. Two weeks ago he couldn't achieve an erection.  Two nights ago he still didn't achieve an erection, but through oral stimulation I was able to give him an ejaculation.

Before he starts screaming for Viagra, I'm looking into and trying some herbal treatments, such as gingseng, which he has taken for a month.  Are there any other suggestions you can make? I know he should see a urologist, but he's convinced nothing but the little blue pill can help.

Thank you so very much for your help.  I'm not convinced I could ask my regular doctor or even his nurse about this without stammering, regardless of my knowledge of medical terminology.

Sincerely,
Joy DeLong

Answer
Joy

There are no herbal remedies that have been shown to have any real value in treating ED.  Be grateful we now have Viagra and other truly effective treatments such as MUSE urethral suppositories, external vacuum devices and injection therapy to offer in addition to the pills.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD