Urology/lactulose

Question
QUESTION: if you take lactulose twice a week will it reduce your electrilites.is it safe for elderly with cronic constipation

ANSWER: Howard:

This is a little outside my expertise as a urologist, but in general lactulose is considered safe for elderly patients to take regularly; however, it's best to check with your physician about your particular situation.

QUESTION: am I correct that most causes of frequent urination is from prostate not cancer.should I occasionally take  tomataojuice to compenstat loss of sodiumfrom riexcess urination

Answer
Howard

Frequent urination is much more likely to be from prostate enlargement. There is no need for tomato juice or any other extra sodium source as there is little sodium in the urine and it is quickly made up by a standard diet. Plus you risk sodium excess. The frequency is a bladder/prostate issue and not a urine overproduction problem.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD