Urology/Urinary system and intestine atrophy

Question
Hello,
I am sorry beforehand if this question is silly.
I am writing a fantasy novel in which some people doesn't have to eat or drink to survive, though they can if they want to.
My question is, if internal organs responsible for urination and defecation do not work for a while, would they atrophy? If a person such as mentioned above would eat after a few years, would his organism still be able to digest and remove foods and drinks?
I know it's a very hypothetical question, but any help on this topic would be great.
Thank you

Answer
Margarita:

I can't address the GI tract as that is not my field, but I can take a stab at the kidneys.  There is no way to stop the kidneys from working for any long period of time without ruining them.  Essentially, a kidney can survive blockage and even medical problems that cause a complete shutdown temporarily, but a long term period of non-function would certainly cause atrophy and failure.

Since you're writing a fantasy novel, try freezing the kidneys or putting them in some kind of "stasis" field since otherwise they can't work.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD