Urology/utis

Question
QUESTION: dr leslie I had utis a month ago I took doxycycline for 5 days it  cleared up.now its back my urine culture had 10000 colonies.if doxycycline does not clear up infection can I die

ANSWER: Howard

Death from a simple uti would be exceedingly unlikely. technically, any uti in a male is considered "complicated" and requires 7-14 days of treatment. If the prostate is involved it could take even longer. You should see a local urologist to make sure you get the appropriate treatment.

QUESTION: what about urine culture with 10000 colonies is that show a very minor infection.doctor thinks its left over bacteria from last infection.chances of it entering blood stream

ANSWER: Howard

An active uti would have > 100,000 colonies. Less could still indicate an infection that has been partially treated.

QUESTION: do most utis stay around and not spread to blood stream.do they keepmapplying anti-biotics till they find one that works

Answer
Howard:

Most UTIs do not spread to the blood stream, a condition called bacteremia, and most do not stay around.  We typically do a urine culture to identify the bacteria and what it is sensitive to.  Then we give that particular antibiotic if the original treatment did not eradicate the infection. We don't just keep changing antibiotics without a plan as that often leads to resistance and yeast issues.  

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD