Urology/Finasteride and Alfuzosion

I'm 69 and normally in excellent health.....Exercise daily and all heart, blood and other tests normal.  I recently had issues with a kidney stone (not my first) and also diagnosed with enlarged prostate.
My Dr. put me on Alfuzsion daily and Finasteride daily.  I've began taking them after dinner and without question, they've helped with urination, etc.  My question though deals with possible side effects.  I've been a heart pvc/pac "sufferer" for many years. They are benign (i've had every test) but aggravating when they come in large numbers.....I've noticed in increase in them since I've been on the above meds....particularly when I lay down and try to sleep.  My PCP says there is no relationship. Just wondering if you think this pvc/pac increase could be caused by the meds.....Thanks so much

There is no known relationship, but it's probably best to check with your cardiologist.  It may be reasonable to try stopping one or both drugs to see if they actually do seem to cause your problem.  If so, you may need to try alternate medications or consider an early surgery, like TURP, if drugs can't be used.  

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute