You are here:



Dr. Leslie, I read your wonderful article about hypercalciuria online.  I have been undergoing treatment for years, and it is still not under control.  I have had kidney stones and complications and osteoporosis.  Nothing has worked so far.  Can you recommend a center or expert for me?  I live in South Florida, and I went to Boston a couple of years ago to see Dr. Gary Curhan.  Thank you.


I know Dr.Curhan.  we have worked together in the past.

Hypercalciuria with stones and osteopprosos suggests huperparathyroidim which I am sure has been tesfed for. A treatment that would take calcium from the blood and put it in the bones might help such as Prolia. A thiazide would help minimize calcium excretioj in the urine.

We cannot make referrals, but try a Univerzity center with a urology residency program.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stephen W. Leslie, MD


Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.


Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Awards and Honors
Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute

©2017 All rights reserved.