Urology/Hypercalciuria

Question
Dr. Leslie, I read your wonderful article about hypercalciuria online.  I have been undergoing treatment for years, and it is still not under control.  I have had kidney stones and complications and osteoporosis.  Nothing has worked so far.  Can you recommend a center or expert for me?  I live in South Florida, and I went to Boston a couple of years ago to see Dr. Gary Curhan.  Thank you.

Answer
Stacy

I know Dr.Curhan.  we have worked together in the past.

Hypercalciuria with stones and osteopprosos suggests huperparathyroidim which I am sure has been tesfed for. A treatment that would take calcium from the blood and put it in the bones might help such as Prolia. A thiazide would help minimize calcium excretioj in the urine.

We cannot make referrals, but try a Univerzity center with a urology residency program.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD