Urology/medication and sexual problems

I am an Indian aged 58 working in Saudi Arabia. For the past two three years, I have been sometimes(not always) experiencing low volume of semen and lack of pleasure during ejaculation. Sometimes I feel that semen does not come out together with the spurts during ejaculation and it comes out after the ejaculation,  sometimes,  in low volume and sometimes in large volume, sometimes it comes out together with all spurts, sometimes   with   large volume and sometimes in low volume. Frequently  I wake up in the midnight and too early in the morning. I am of normal height and weight, and do not smoke or drink (for the past ten years I have been living alone in my work place , with my wife visiting me once for one month or less every year). I have been using Atenolol  50 mg daily for the past twenty years, and together with olmisartan(before Telmisartan)  on alternative days for the past five years for high BP, one atorvastatin 10 mg on alternative days for the past ten  years,  one saxagliptin and pioglitazone  daily for diabetes for the past five years(fearing loss of further weight I stopped using metformin 500mg).  Are these medicines causing my ejaculation problems? Can I gradually stop using Atenolol by reducing its quantity and use only Olmisartan or Telmisartan daily and  atorvastatin 5mg once or twice in a week?

The medications you mention are not known to cause ejaculatory problems although medication is the number one cause.  

In general, there is no specific treatment or remedy for ejaculation problems. In other words, other than stopping medications, there is no drug or remedy for most ejaculation problems.

I would not recommend stopping any of your medications without checking with your personal physician first. You may want to consult a urologist to see if there is anything that can be done to help.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute