Urology/post-op varicocele embolization pain

I had varicocele embolization performed 2 weeks ago to repair a moderately sized varicocele on my left testicle. The procedure did not hurt, and was a technical success according to my interventional radiologist. The problem is that I am now feeling a great deal of pain in my left testicle 2 weeks after the procedure. My testicle is so incredibly tender, that if I touch it ever so slightly, it gives me a stabbing pain that radiates all the way up to my lower left abdomen. When I get up and it is positioned awkwardly, it gives me stabbing pain as it touches my leg. Is this normal?
The doctor gave me naproxen and assured me that it will clear up once i'm done with the pills. He said that the pain should disappear within 3 weeks from the procedure. It hasn't subsided in the least. It's gotten even worse actually. I occasionally feel a dull aching pain that I didn't have before the procedure as well. I had the procedure done for pain management purposes, as I could not sit for extended periods of time without it hurting. Does anyone have any experiences similar to what I am going through? How long did it take for the pain to go away? Is it possible that the procedure failed?

Thank you to all who respond.

You need to consult a urologist. There could be an infection kr some compromise to the arterial supply which can cause pain. Interventional radiologists are often quite technically proficient but are not as skilled in managing problems or complications.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute