Urology/post varicocele concern

this is the thirteenth day after my varicocelectomy. it was bilateral very noticeable on the left tho the doc said he saw a little on the right too. I walked out of the theater myself since it was local anesthesia. well I have been having lots of bed rests and only move around to sit and eat or go to the loo. today I couldn't fight the urge anymore so I masturbated to relief pressure. prior to that every evening starting some days back for a couple of hours I would experience radiating pain along the cord approaching the left testes from the epididymis and its only when I lay down or sit in a place but I feel relief after some hours. I had the notion that frequent arousal and nocturnal excitement without discharge might be the cause, hence my masturbating. am not sure but would like your opinion. didn't feel any pain then but now while am  sitted it feels a tiny bit sore along the right cord like when you have a pin stuck in a vein you feel only wen you  move your body. it just feels like I may have bursted something open. if only I knew exactly how strong the ligations are I may have some mental reassurance that I haven't somehow ruined it. and please also give me some post op advice as am to resume schooling by Monday. am in the university. thank you for your time. the incisions for my OP wer made on the area wer my bladder is from the outside on both sides. thanks again

As I was not there and was not the surgeon, I cannot tell you how "strong the ligations are" but typically they are quite reliable.  Feeling of pulling is not uncommon after such surgery.  Masturbation is probably not going to help.

It is possible something "burst" but quite unlikely.  There would be a sizeable bulge if a blood vessel burst or broke which you did not describe.

Pain along the cord at this stage would not be unusual.  Follow the instructions from your surgeon.  Usually we recommend taking it easy for at least the first 2 weeks after surgery.  

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute