Urology/Problem with delay benzocaine

Question
QUESTION: Please help me I'm 23 years old I'm healthy I don't smoke drink or do drugs a couple weeks back I used a delay spray with 7.5% benzocaine before sex with my partner I applied 5 sprays and I went limp and numb.since then I've been unable to get an erection like before the sensation seems to have gone aswell as my sex drive. I'm so scared that it's made me depressed and unable to sleep as I'm worried I'll never be the same again. Before this my erections were totally normal. I've read Similar other stories of this happening to people. Will this get better?

ANSWER: James

It will probably get bettdr but you may need to.see your physician.

QUESTION: I'm worried as I know it's not supposed to last this long will I have an appointment with a urologist will they be able to tell if the sensation or nerves are damaged? Everywhere I've looked it says the spray is safe to use. I really appreciate your help at the moment

Answer
James:

If sensation is significantly reduced, then the nerves are damaged.  There are limited specific tests to measure this so we usually don't bother.  There should not be any change in erections except as a result of the reduced sensation and your anxiety.

These problems typically get better over time.  Sometimes vitamin B-6 can help, but there is unfortunately no specific remedy other than waiting.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD