Urology/Problem with delay benzocaine

QUESTION: Please help me I'm 23 years old I'm healthy I don't smoke drink or do drugs a couple weeks back I used a delay spray with 7.5% benzocaine before sex with my partner I applied 5 sprays and I went limp and numb.since then I've been unable to get an erection like before the sensation seems to have gone aswell as my sex drive. I'm so scared that it's made me depressed and unable to sleep as I'm worried I'll never be the same again. Before this my erections were totally normal. I've read Similar other stories of this happening to people. Will this get better?

It will probably get bettdr but you may need to.see your physician.

QUESTION: I'm worried as I know it's not supposed to last this long will I have an appointment with a urologist will they be able to tell if the sensation or nerves are damaged? Everywhere I've looked it says the spray is safe to use. I really appreciate your help at the moment

If sensation is significantly reduced, then the nerves are damaged.  There are limited specific tests to measure this so we usually don't bother.  There should not be any change in erections except as a result of the reduced sensation and your anxiety.

These problems typically get better over time.  Sometimes vitamin B-6 can help, but there is unfortunately no specific remedy other than waiting.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute