I'm a 64 year old male and was told my prostate is enlarged, but normal sized for my age. I have the usual symptoms, like having a weak urine flow/dribbling, it varies. I usually get up 1-2 times a night to urinate. But once in a great while, and it's only happened a few times, I will get up in the middle of the night to urinate and all I can get is a weak dribble, even though I can feel a lot more urine in my bladder, very uncomfortable. I get some relief and go back to bed, but have to go again in an hour or two, getting up 6-7 times a night. Like I said, this doesn't happen often. But why the fluctuation in symptoms? Again, I usually get up only 1-2x to urinate and it's a weak flow, but not just a dribble. Why the variation? Does the prostate change in size from one day to the next?  Thanks

You probably have either intravesical extension of the prostate or an enlarged media MN lobe. Depending on their orientation, the streak could then become intermittently weak. Only surgery can cure this problem.

You should consult a local urologist.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute