went to urologist yesterday said had white cells in urine.told me prostate is large told me to take macrobid for 5 days till urine culture.will I get bacteria resistant if he changes anti-biotic.i have ddiabetes and had 3 infections a my life in danger.can a lot of white cells mean   leaukema

You are over-reacting.  White cells in the urine could mean an infection or just inflammation.  macrobid is a good antibiotic to clear superficial and minor infections.  Bacteria can develop resistance if full courses of antibiotics are not completed or they are changed without a good reason.  Your diabetes puts you at risk for more infections.

Your life is not in danger if you follow reasonable medical advice.

White blood cells in the urine does not mean leukemia: that is too many white blood cells in the blood from a cancer of the bone marrow.

Follow your physician's advice.  He seems to be on the right track.  

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute