Urology/treament urinary tract infection + staph

Question
Hi - Im a 43 year old woman. Recently Ive had a staph infection and have been prescribed Staphylex (flucloxacillin) 500 mgs 4 times per day. But just before the staph thing, I'd also been diagnosed with urinary tract infection. I was prescribed a different antibiotic, but lost the script!

My question: would the flucloxacillin I am taking for the staph take care of the urinary tract infection as well? Or do I need to go back to doc to get a special anti-biotic for the urinary tract infection?

Answer
Teri

Not a good idea to lose the prescription for your antibiotic. Now that you need to treat the staph infection, it is unclear if a second antibiotic is needed for the UTI. Most of the time we try to use only one antibiotic at a time. Check with your physicians to see if a second antibiotic is needed in your particular case.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD