Urology/treament urinary tract infection + staph

Hi - Im a 43 year old woman. Recently Ive had a staph infection and have been prescribed Staphylex (flucloxacillin) 500 mgs 4 times per day. But just before the staph thing, I'd also been diagnosed with urinary tract infection. I was prescribed a different antibiotic, but lost the script!

My question: would the flucloxacillin I am taking for the staph take care of the urinary tract infection as well? Or do I need to go back to doc to get a special anti-biotic for the urinary tract infection?

Not a good idea to lose the prescription for your antibiotic. Now that you need to treat the staph infection, it is unclear if a second antibiotic is needed for the UTI. Most of the time we try to use only one antibiotic at a time. Check with your physicians to see if a second antibiotic is needed in your particular case.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute