Urology/utis

Question
QUESTION: went to  urologist have infection and urine culture said take macrobid for 7 days and no-need to get my urine re-tested.if microbid does not clear up infection do you go to hospital for ivs or try another antibiotic.i am puzzled why he said do not need another urine test unless I feel worsediarrhea but is it unlikely to be caused by c-diff n from microbid

ANSWER: Howard

Macrobiotic does not cause c. Diff.  A simple urinalysis is enough to check the effectiveness of the antibiotic.

When one antibiotic doesn't work, we switch to another based on cultures. Only infrequently are IV antibiotics needed.

QUESTION: doctor said after 7 day of microbid don't need another urine culture.i still urinate every hour/am I taking a chance not getting re-checked urine test after finishing up on microbid.

ANSWER: Howard

Since you are still having symptoms, a repeat urine test would be reasonable. Ask your physician.

QUESTION: my doctor knows I urinate every hour.as I said before he did urine culture and culture came back saying macrobid for 7 days.doctor said no need to re-test.i had frequent urination before because of enlarged prostate.if I don't take another urine test to see if macrobid did not cure infection am I taking chance.urine is clear and no burning.if I still have infection does he give me another anti-biotic nurses  at hospital said they don't re-test urine after sensity test.i read when you go to hospital for iv good chance of c-diff.worried abour septis.will they ever get anti-biotic that will work.afraid of getting anti-biotic resistance

Answer
Howard:

You keep asking me the same question and I can only give you the same answer.

Macrobid is NOT a good antibiotic for men with prostatitis or prostate involved infections because it does not penetrate prostate tissue well.  Since you are still having symptoms, a repeat examination of the urine is reasonable as well as a rectal exam to look for prostate involvement.  If this is found, then a different antibiotic may be prescribed.

While a repeat urine culture is not usually done, a simple urinalysis is often performed to make sure infections are gone and no new germ or yeast has begun.  IV antibiotics in the hospital have the potential to cause C. diff but this uncommon.  We have lots of antibiotics that work, but bacteria develop resistance so its necessary to use antibiotics appropriately.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD