Urology/Vibrating sensation on tip of penis

Hello Doctor,

I am a 26 year old male in good health and no major medical conditions.

About 3 days ago, after my girlfriend and I had finished having sex, I noticed a slight vibrating sensation at the top of my penis. It went away (or I didn't notice it) after a few minutes.

The next day, we had sex again (her on top, me sitting on the couch. Not sure if that's relevant), and I noticed it again for a few minutes. I went home, and noticed it while laying in bed. It lasted an hour or so and then I fell asleep. I did not notice it yesterday.

Today I noticed it while standing up. It occurred intermittently throughout the day. I did workout for about 45 minutes on an elliptical machine today, but didn't notice it until several hours later.

The "vibrating" sensation is in the tip, near the base of the glans, on the left side of my penis. It "pulsates" though not regularly, and does not line up with my actual pulse. It is very mild, but I do notice it.

Do you know what might be causing this?

Not exactly.  Strange sensations in the genitalia are notoriously hard to identify as the examinations are mostly normal.  Some type of nerve issue is possible such as diabetes or it may just be minor inflammation.  While I doubt its anything serious, check with your local physician.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute