Urology/Adult circumcision

QUESTION: My husband had a circumcision 1/8/16 and he still is pretty numb. We are unable to have sex because he cannot feel anything. Is this normal and if so, how long does it last? His dr just says the procedure went great and is healing fine. However, he should be able to feel something!

After 3 months the healing should be complete. Typically, there is increased sensation after circumcision, not less. A second opinion from a University urology program might be reasonable at this point.

QUESTION: His dr told us after circumcision there is a small loss of sensitivity. Let me clarify, he does have some feeling but not with sex, he cannot feel it so therefore an election is hard to keep. especially the tip and where the inssion was there is no feeling. He also doesn't have insurance and we had to pay cash for this so another expert would be expensive

Loss of sensation along suture line may be expected. The head is now exposed to different sensations than before the circumcision. Sensation may now be Normal when it was previously increased. More importantly, thereally really is not much that can be done at this point to increase sensitivity.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute