Urology/antibiotics

Question
QUESTION: I don't understand where I asked 2 questions,but ill make it one.if you take z-pack,macroid and doxycycline and another antibiotic  like repeating macroid for 10 days is this too many antibiotics in 2 year period/will the antibiotics stop working.i have heard people taking anti-biotics for years.this is one question

ANSWER: Howard

This reflects lots of questions on the same topic. So did will answer it one more time.

Almost any antibiotic can cause resistance and posdible c. diff. So we recommend antibiotics for a specified time for a particular problem. When taken as prescribed, the risk of problems is reduced.

Antibiotics do not stop working, but bacteria develop resistance which is pretty much the same thing.

QUESTION: is macrobid and doxycycline effective against enterococcus saecalis group d this s my last question I hear resistence to  antibiotics please forgive me

Answer
Howard

Please read my last response again. No anti ionic always works because the bacteria develop resistance. Macrobid and doxycycline generally work with enterococcus, but we also do cultures to determine not only the type of bacteria but their particular sensitivity profile.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD