Urology/ED and Viagra

Question
Dear Doctor
I have an unusual for of hypertension causing episodes of spikes that have gone as high as 288/140 with some seizures and chest pain when it gets so high. I am on a calcium channel blocker, ace inhibitor, alpha blocker, beta blocker, nitro patches and nitro sublingual spray. I have spent a lot of times in emergency rooms and have had 2 mild strokes. I am 62 years old and have suffered from this for about 20 years. That said since I am on a ton of meds I have been suffering from ED ever since. It is not severe but annoying at times. My doctor has instructed me that when I feel the need for sex to temporarily discontinue all nitro for at least 48 hours [never less] or more and use half of a 25 mg pill of Viagra. I then cant use nitro for 24hrs after use.
Everything was done as instructed by my doctor but to my great surprise after about 45 min I began to feel ill, very ill with a higher heart rate and my blood pressure shot up to 210/125. However I did manage to get a great erection but was too sick to use it. My doctor was puzzled by this side effect since Viagra mostly causes HYPOTENSION as a side effect. I was advised to immediately stop the Viagra. My heart is fine and with the exception of angina during a hypertensive emergency I am blessed not to have cardiovascular disease.
The only other health issue in my past was cardiac arrest and almost a stroke during sinus surgery in 2001 when the surgeon was going to remove a small growth from my right sinus. I almost died on the table and a 45 min surgery turned into a 4 hour ordeal involving all sort of doctors and nurses being rushed into the operating room [witnessed by my wife and a friend waiting for me in the recovery room].
Now my urologist is going to try injecting low dose papaverine injections into my penis as a viable treatment for ED. I was told that there is no real systemic absorption of this type of shot so that would minimize systemic side effects. Do you agree?
Also do you have a possible explanation for my odd reaction to Viagra?
Thank you

Answer
Vincent
I cannot explain your unusual reaction to Viagea. Given your serious cardiac issues, I would not have recommended using it even with the precautions taken due to the risks after use.

I would suggest getting approval from your cardiologist before accepting any ED treatment at this point.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD