Urology/Low testosterone

Hi Dr. Leslie, thanks for taking my question. I have been diagnosed with low testosterone levels after 2 blood tests done 1 month apart. I am only 35yo and haven't been able to get morning stiffness or during sex. My doctor recommended androgel but warned that it will shrink my testicles and most likely can't have kids. And there's a chance it's lifetime treatment resulting in greater risk of cancer. My doc doesn't think Viagra will help given my lab results.

What is your take on androgel?

Androgen is an excellent and safe supplement when used correctly. It will reduce sperm counthe and may  cause testicle shrinkage. If your low testosterone is causing bothersome symptoms, take the treatment at least on a trial basis. If the only problem is ED, try Viagea first as it might work.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute