Urology/Mild Prominence of renal cortex of right kidney

Question
Dr. Leslie,

I recently had an ultrasound of my abdomen due to ongoing RUQ pain.  When I met with my GI doctor, I fully expected something to show up regarding my gallbladder; however, was shocked when the report mentioned the following: "Mild prominence of the renal cortex in the midpolar/lower pole region, Difficult to exclude underlying mass.  Consider further evaluation with abdominal CT".  I haven't had any kidney-related issues.  My GI doctor has submitted a referral to see a Urologist.

Of course, seeing the word "mass" has me concerned and there are a ton of questions running through my mind: 1) are such findings fairly common? 2) what additional tests are usually ordered in this situation? 3) is an MRI as accurate as a CT scan for further evaluation?

Thank you in advance for addressing my concerns/questions.

Answer
Carey

This could be a normal variant called a dromedary hump. Or it could be more serious. Usually we start with a CT urogram. If that suggests a mass or tumor, see the urologist. If the test is normal, you can save yourself the need for an appointment.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD