Urology/Testicular Varicocele

Well it's been about 2 months since I noticed swelling veins by my testicles , there is no pain and little discomfort, I went to see a doctor and I have to schedule and appointment for a testicular ultrasound. My right testicle has shrunk and my left testicle is a little swollen , there is no pain at all. I have done some research and I fear I have a testicular varicocele. I'm scared that I might be infertility or might have to lose a testicle, is it to late to fix it ? I read online and I believe my varicocle is on my left , but why has my right testicle shrunk? I fear that I might have to get it removed , or I may be infertile. I am 18 years old , I exercise daily , I think what may have caused my testicular varicocele was over masturbaition , I am scared that the worst will happen and I would have to get a testicle removed... What should I do ??

Over masturbation does not cause Varicoceles which are due to venous backflow usually on the left side of the scrotum. I cannot explain shrinkage of the right testicle. Varicoceles can contribute to reduced fertility in some, but the majority of men with Varicoceles have no fertility issues. You should consult a urologist to review these issues with you after the ultrasound.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute