Urology/Testicular Varicocele

Question
Well it's been about 2 months since I noticed swelling veins by my testicles , there is no pain and little discomfort, I went to see a doctor and I have to schedule and appointment for a testicular ultrasound. My right testicle has shrunk and my left testicle is a little swollen , there is no pain at all. I have done some research and I fear I have a testicular varicocele. I'm scared that I might be infertility or might have to lose a testicle, is it to late to fix it ? I read online and I believe my varicocle is on my left , but why has my right testicle shrunk? I fear that I might have to get it removed , or I may be infertile. I am 18 years old , I exercise daily , I think what may have caused my testicular varicocele was over masturbaition , I am scared that the worst will happen and I would have to get a testicle removed... What should I do ??

Answer
Michael

Over masturbation does not cause Varicoceles which are due to venous backflow usually on the left side of the scrotum. I cannot explain shrinkage of the right testicle. Varicoceles can contribute to reduced fertility in some, but the majority of men with Varicoceles have no fertility issues. You should consult a urologist to review these issues with you after the ultrasound.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD