Urology/Urine smell

Question
I am 35 and male and for a few years now my urine smells very similar to what I have recently eatten. Not just asparagus. When I drink a lot of orange juice or eat sweets my urine smells really sweet. Sometimes with chips or prezels and meats it smells very salty. And tonight it smelled kind of musky and like the low mein noodles I ate with orange  chicken. When I was young my urine smelled like urine and nothing else. Is it normal at my age? Is my body just getting less good at breaking stuff down before passing it along?

Answer
James

I have no good explanation for what you have described. Some odor related to diet us expected but not to the degree you mention. Getting less good at breaking down stuff would not explain this. A good physical exam and urine check might help shed some light on this so ask your local physician.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD