Urology/Urine smell

I am 35 and male and for a few years now my urine smells very similar to what I have recently eatten. Not just asparagus. When I drink a lot of orange juice or eat sweets my urine smells really sweet. Sometimes with chips or prezels and meats it smells very salty. And tonight it smelled kind of musky and like the low mein noodles I ate with orange  chicken. When I was young my urine smelled like urine and nothing else. Is it normal at my age? Is my body just getting less good at breaking stuff down before passing it along?

I have no good explanation for what you have described. Some odor related to diet us expected but not to the degree you mention. Getting less good at breaking down stuff would not explain this. A good physical exam and urine check might help shed some light on this so ask your local physician.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute