Urology/Firm testical

QUESTION: I'm 17 and recently noticed that my left testical (which is also my slightly bigger one and hangs slightly lower) feels firmer than the right one. It's not rock hard and doesn't hurt. It also doesn't seem swollen. No lumps on it. But it's noticeably harder. When I squeez it, it give in a little, then becomes firm. Where as for the right one, it gives in a little more, i.e. It doesn't become too hard to squeez as quickly as the left. The left one (firmer) feels almost like a hard boiled egg without the shell, the right one feels like a softer hard boiled egg. This has got me anxious. But the one really odd thing about this all, is that if I take a shower, and feel around for a while after that, the left one might still be "slightly" more firm, but is very similar to the right one. So I guess my symptoms are: left testical more firm that right.
When relaxed "after shower" is softer.
No pain.
No lumps.
No swelling.
Not rock hard.
Any ideas? Oh and, I'm upset about the fact that if I ask my doctor, my testicals will most likely not be hanging low because I'll be cold or nervous, so it'll be very hard to feel.

The cause of your problem is unclear. You should talk to your physician. Regardless of temperature or nerves, your physician should still be able to perform an adequate exam. Most of the tones nothing is wrong.

QUESTION: Thank you for your answer, I have one more question. When they say a hard testicle is a (can be) symptom of testicular cancer, do they mean hard as in you can't push on it? And what causes the whole testical to become hard? Also, is it a good sign that when I get out of the shower the testical feels normal? They say to check them after a shower, mine feel fine then, it's when I feel it at a random time that it can be like this. Once again, thank you!

The most common cause for one testicle to ne firm is infection, evenot if old. Scar tissue can also do this. Testicular tumors are uncommon but obviously need to be excluded.

I cannot explain why it seems normal after a shower other than this is when muscle tension is weakest. An actual tumor, for example, would not change.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute