Urology/Injury

Question
Hello Dr

Basically for the last 5 months my penis has been numb almost totally numb before this all my sexual function was fine and normal as you can imagine at 25 years of age to go from being normal to the point I cannot even have sex is totally deverstating it's effected my libido as I can't feel any pleasurable sensation my Perineum and anus is also numb. I've tried to masturbate and have sex however sex is impossible because I need constant stimulation to stay erect and even then it's not 100% hard. I basically cannot even tell my penis is erect without looking. The confusing part is I don't recall an injury I've had rough hand job and sex a number of times but I have always been okay so I'm at a loss as to how this has occurred the only thing I did differently was use the prolonged condoms that contain a local anaesthetic but I doubt they could cause all this. I don't want to admit it but deep down I kinda know it's nerve damage I'm just unsure of the cause. I'd like you to be 100% and tell me if nerve injuries can ever get better and if they do will my penis be like before with erections and so on. I've cut down masturbation to about twice a month do you think I should stop all sexual activity or is 5 months to late. Thank you doctor

Answer
Danny:

At this point, we can only speculate that there may be some nerve dysfunction but no clear cause is evident. Nerve problems are usually called neuropathy.  They can be caused by medications, side effects, injury, trauma, diabetes and a variety of other relatively uncommon nerve disorders.  Depending on the underlying cause, it may or may not improve over time.  A nerve injury will usually tend to slowly improve, but this is not always guaranteed.

You should contact your local physician or consider consultation with a neurologist to look into this problem for you.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD