Urology/repeated pus cells of 10-15:

Greetings from India. I am 31 years old, male. I am getting repeated high pus cells of 10-15 hpf in my semen test . I have done semen culture& sensitivity  test thrice. Everytime the doctor gives me some antibiotics for 2 weeks or so and it gets cured. It has been thrice now. Again it has re-occured. Kindly let me know what all tests to be done. Is repeated high pus cells a danger?

Today when i visited the infertility specialist for my wife treatment she told me to go for a follow up with an urologist. Kindly let me know if repeated pus cells is dangerous.

It's more troublesome than dangerous. Either the wrong antibiotics were used or they were not given long enough.

Repeating the same treatment that has been unsuccessful should indicate that a change is needed. Consider getting a second opinion.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute