Urology/Anatomical question

Question
QUESTION: Hi Dr. Leslie,

Are the deep and the superficial fascia attached to the penis sort of like shrink/Saran Wrap) or are they attached like wallpaper(if you will), meaning completely fused to the layer underneath to the penis like fat on a steak or chicken skin? Also, are the fascia attached to the foreskin or the glans in anyway? Would a tear cause it to snap back like a rubber band or sort of just hang losely at the location of the tear.  

Thanks,
Sonu

ANSWER: Sonu

The fascia are attached more like a combination but more like the wallpaper. The foreskin is not attached but the glans certainly is.

Tears are uncommon as the fascia are quite strong. Reaction depends on which fascia and how bad the tear is.

QUESTION: Presumably you're saying the fascia are attached to the glans. If there was a tear, would it heal on its own? Is sex and masturbation likely to make it worse?  Problems started after a weekend full of extremely vigorous sex(oral, hand and vaginally intercouse). I can still get erections, there was a time when they left the penis in a lot of pain. I have had severe pain under the glans and sex now is painful. It feels like a strong pull on the skin underneath the foreskin when I thrust forward. It's almost as if the skin is being pulled away. Foreskin has been accumulating on top of the glans. The worst position is when seated or driving.  I have to literally pull over at times to adjust it. Even at work, I have had to go to the bathroom to adjust the foreskin. When I sit, natural reaction of the penis and foreskin should be to move together(contract together) in the same direction but it feels like the penis contracts and the foreskin stays still thus resulting in bunched up foreskin at the tip of the glans. The whole notion sounds ridiculous to me but I am wondering if there is any merit to it. Obviously, you're the doctor with the expertise so I'll defer to you. I saw a urologist when it happened but the appointment was very brief and the situation has detriorated since then. An ultrasound and a pelvic mri was completed but it didn't yield anything conclusive. I can't wait for another appointment and if there are certain precautions I must take, I need to do it now.  Hence why I am reaching out to you doctor. If you have another plausible explanation, can you share it? If not the glans area, is the problem likely to be elsewhere? Thanks for your time,  greatly appreciate your feedback.

ANSWER: Sonu

Most facial tears will eventually heal but not always. Diagnosis is difficult unless the tear is relatively obvious and severe. Having sex no matter how vigorous is not likely to cause these injuries which are quite rare.

I cannot give you a diagnosis or treatment as that is not allowed on this general information forum. You need another urology opinion. Good luck.

QUESTION: Thanks Doctor.  Phrased another way, what are the general symptoms of a fascial tear?

In the event, one pulls the foreskin back(to simulate a circumsized state) prior to intercourse for greater stimulation likely to cause a fascial tear?

Would a fascial tear result In any affect on the foreskin?

Thanks Dr. Lesli.

Answer
Sonu

Fascias tears in the penis usually involove severe trsuma like a car accident or a penile fracture. Such injuries are severe with significant pain, swelling, bruising and fisciloration. This is not your situation as you gave described it. Check out penile fracture on Google for a more detailed explanation of what a real fascia tear is like. Usually these severe injuries require immediate surgical repair. Again, this does seem to apply to you.

Pulling the foreskin back is not likely to cause a fascial tear but the foreskin can separate from the underlying tissue which could be your problem.

As stated earlier, a facial tear would likely cause significant and obvious changes in the foreskin.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD