Urology/Morning erection

QUESTION: Hello Doctor.

Recently ive been waking up with an erection during the night, but it subsides as soon as I wake up. Occasionally I have preformance anxiety. Is this an issue?? Im 24 by the way. Thank you.

Nocturnal and morning erections are perfectly normal functions so there is no need for any undue anxiety.

QUESTION: I know.. But I never have it in the morning its only when I wake up in the in the middle of thr night.. And it subsides very fast.. Im scared

ANSWER: Craig:

This is still normal.  Whether you wake up with an erection depends on the state of sleep you are in immediately before waking. If you happen to be in REM sleep, then you would awake with the morning erection.  You do not have to be scared about this.

QUESTION: Thank you. Ive read about venous leak. Weak morning wood and ed is a symptom and I often lose my erection during or before sex.. I just thought it was nerves. Maybe I have a leak.

If you had a venous leak, you would have ED and the erection rigidity would consistently and steadily diminish.  Intermittent type problems are almost always related to anxiety.  If you have persistent problems with sexual function, talk to your physician.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute