Urology/Morning erection

Question
QUESTION: Hello Doctor.

Recently ive been waking up with an erection during the night, but it subsides as soon as I wake up. Occasionally I have preformance anxiety. Is this an issue?? Im 24 by the way. Thank you.

ANSWER: Craig

Nocturnal and morning erections are perfectly normal functions so there is no need for any undue anxiety.

QUESTION: I know.. But I never have it in the morning its only when I wake up in the in the middle of thr night.. And it subsides very fast.. Im scared

ANSWER: Craig:

This is still normal.  Whether you wake up with an erection depends on the state of sleep you are in immediately before waking. If you happen to be in REM sleep, then you would awake with the morning erection.  You do not have to be scared about this.

QUESTION: Thank you. Ive read about venous leak. Weak morning wood and ed is a symptom and I often lose my erection during or before sex.. I just thought it was nerves. Maybe I have a leak.

Answer
Craig:

If you had a venous leak, you would have ED and the erection rigidity would consistently and steadily diminish.  Intermittent type problems are almost always related to anxiety.  If you have persistent problems with sexual function, talk to your physician.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD