Urology/Recurring UTis

Question
Hi Dr Leslie:
I keep getting recurring uti. They go away and come back. I have been referred to a GI to see if there's a fistula I believe is what the called it. Question is how many and what kind of barriers are in place separating the colon rectum area from the urogenital area? Basically what separates the path between the orifices? Thanks

Answer
Tim

There is a strong fascia called Devonvilliers between the rectum and prostate. Other layers include the walls of the organs themselves. Fistulas would be rare between the two systems. Prostatitis and stones are more likely causes of recurrent UTIS in men.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD