Urology/Recurring UTis

Hi Dr Leslie:
I keep getting recurring uti. They go away and come back. I have been referred to a GI to see if there's a fistula I believe is what the called it. Question is how many and what kind of barriers are in place separating the colon rectum area from the urogenital area? Basically what separates the path between the orifices? Thanks

There is a strong fascia called Devonvilliers between the rectum and prostate. Other layers include the walls of the organs themselves. Fistulas would be rare between the two systems. Prostatitis and stones are more likely causes of recurrent UTIS in men.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute