Urology/fertility question

I had both of my epididymis removed due to pain constant swelling (almost the size of golf balls) for a number of years. With both epididymis removed what are my chances for having children. I only ask because I am 46 and my future wife is 42 and never had children but wants them. Are my chances good with IVF or should I just prepare myself for a future without children with her.?

With both epididmymis removed, you cannot have children without intervention.  You would have to have surgery on the testis to obtain sperm directly from the testis.  Then ICSI, a type of IVF, and implantation.  This can get expensive so talk to a Urology fertility specialist to determine how involved and expensive this would be. If you decide to proceed, chances are reasonably good but no guarantees and insurance will not cover this.

Good luck.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute