Urology/fertility question

Question
Doc,
I had both of my epididymis removed due to pain constant swelling (almost the size of golf balls) for a number of years. With both epididymis removed what are my chances for having children. I only ask because I am 46 and my future wife is 42 and never had children but wants them. Are my chances good with IVF or should I just prepare myself for a future without children with her.?

Answer
Sam:

With both epididmymis removed, you cannot have children without intervention.  You would have to have surgery on the testis to obtain sperm directly from the testis.  Then ICSI, a type of IVF, and implantation.  This can get expensive so talk to a Urology fertility specialist to determine how involved and expensive this would be. If you decide to proceed, chances are reasonably good but no guarantees and insurance will not cover this.

Good luck.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD