Urology/problem getting and maintaining erections

Question
Hello Dr. Leslie

I'm a 30yr old male, heavy smoker, overweight and a possible porn/masturbation addiction.  I have noticed that I do not get random or morning erections anymore, and this has been going on for years.  In fact, I don't even get full erections with a partner either not while masturbating alone-so the issue can't  be psychological.   

I have abstained from porn, masturbation and smoking for the past two days and did not notice any improvements.  I do plan to keep on going, and to start working out and lose weight, as I am trying to figure out what exactly is the cause of my ED.

What I wanted to ask is, if I quit smoking and if smoking is to blame for my ED, how long will it take for the body to recover? I heard circulation improves after 2 weeks, should I expect to see firmer erections then?

I realize that all my bad habits (smoking, porn, bad diet) have a negative impact, but which is most likely to have caused the problem at my age?

Answer
Nash

The good news is that things will probably improve over the next month or so, but it may not be enough to restore function to normal. You could also have early diabetes or vascular issues which stopping smoking will not cure. Check with your local physician to see if there is any evidence for low testosterone or Reese other problems. Viagra or similar meds can help in such situations.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD