Urology/problem getting and maintaining erections

Hello Dr. Leslie

I'm a 30yr old male, heavy smoker, overweight and a possible porn/masturbation addiction.  I have noticed that I do not get random or morning erections anymore, and this has been going on for years.  In fact, I don't even get full erections with a partner either not while masturbating alone-so the issue can't  be psychological.   

I have abstained from porn, masturbation and smoking for the past two days and did not notice any improvements.  I do plan to keep on going, and to start working out and lose weight, as I am trying to figure out what exactly is the cause of my ED.

What I wanted to ask is, if I quit smoking and if smoking is to blame for my ED, how long will it take for the body to recover? I heard circulation improves after 2 weeks, should I expect to see firmer erections then?

I realize that all my bad habits (smoking, porn, bad diet) have a negative impact, but which is most likely to have caused the problem at my age?

The good news is that things will probably improve over the next month or so, but it may not be enough to restore function to normal. You could also have early diabetes or vascular issues which stopping smoking will not cure. Check with your local physician to see if there is any evidence for low testosterone or Reese other problems. Viagra or similar meds can help in such situations.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute