Urology/prostatitis misdiagnosis

Hello Dr. Leslie,

I was on a businesa trip in Asia.had burning at the tip of my penis and went to my doctor. He diagnosed prostatitis and put me on 20 days cipro, 500mg twice daily. I went back when my pain was unbearable and he did an xray of chest and pelvis and a trans rectal uktrasound suspecting prostate cancer.  Xray showed constipation and he explained that the pain in the intestine can manifest itself as pain in the genitals. Told me to take some fleet. I took the fleet laxative and ended up in severe unbearable abdominal pain after countless bowel movements and tremendous straining. Since the fleet incident my pain has worsened. It feels like my penis is literally detached from my pelvis. I can feel the bone deep within the pelvis around the penis.  If I may, consider a plant in a pot and you just water the plant and the soil around the plan gives way so all that's left is the plant around the immediate radius, soil is gone. That's what it sort of feels like, my penis is no5 supported all around the base. Do you know what may be the cause in such a scenario? Could it be a ligament, degeneration of whatever is underneath?  I am getting deor3ssed over this and I won't be back for another few months and I have a hard time trusting these doctors here. I was told I will need suegery to fix. This is all for profit so I don't want them pwrforming some surgery to and make matters worse. Please provide some insight. I understand I have given limited info. And it's hard for you to say anything conclusive but I need your guidance to ensure I don't end up in some unnecessary procedure.  I just want to emphasize that I did not engage in any behavior that may be considered risqué. This was an innocent, unexpected problem.

You may have prostatitis, but this would not explain the lack of support you've described.  I would certainly not allow any surgery for this unless it has been checked by a qualified urologist.  Try to see one at an academic or tertiary care center.  Good luck.  

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute