Urology/TURP recovery question

Question
I'm 70 and in excellent health....had TURP surgery a little over 6 weeks ago (my first surgery ever).  Went into retention the day after the catheter was removed and had to go back on for 5 more days.  After removal, all went well.  Stream was strong, very little blood and debris and very little discomfort.  About a week ago I noticed that my stream started to weaken and I actually had to bear down somewhat (not a lot) to get a steady stream and was "dribbling" at the end....although the "dribbling" was always there.  I was voiding though and emptying well.....I went for my 6 week checkup last week and discussed this with my Dr.   I was thinking I might have a stricture but he said it was unlikely and that I was probably still healing and that more clots and debris may still be present or I could just still be swollen....We did however schedule a cystoscope for 2 weeks down the road just to check....wondering what you think....thanks so much for your time.

Answer
Don:

I'm with you.  I think a stricture is certainly possible, but the fact that the need to "bear down" is troubling at this point 6 weeks after surgery.  Your physician is right that this would be considered a little early for a stricture after TURP surgery.  Let's see what happens.  The cystoscopy in 2 weeks should be definitive.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD