I have bph enlarged prostate.my urology doctor said I can bendryl a few times a week for hives.i am not pitting his advice agaibst yours.my question whar are scientific facis not your opion about enalared prostate and Benadryl.now I put baking soda on my hives with apple cider vinegar

You can look up the facts on benadryl on Google. Benadryl is an effective antihistamine which is why it work so well for hives. But it has anticholinergic properties which tend to reduce bladder muscle tone. This is not usually a problem except when the bladder is not working properly such as in some people with BPH where it can precipitate urinary retention.

In such cases, other antihistamines can be used for the hives.

There does not seem to be much value in using baking soda (a mild alkaline compound) with apple cider vinegar (a mild acidic compound) for hives. The two will neutralize each other and neither is recommended over antihistamines for allergic responses like hives.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute