Urology/Blood in Urine

I had plasma button surgery 2 1/2 years ago for BPH. Following the surgery the longest I've gone without seeing blood in my urine is roughly 2 months. Minimal abdominal exertion results in sometimes pink lemonade looking urine and other times fire engine red urine. Usually clears up within a few days. My urologist surgeon ordered tests to exclude cancer, all negative. His assessment is the blood thinners that i need to take are preventing complete healing resulting in a situation similar to hemmoroids.Other than another surgery to cauterize the bleeding vessels or stopping the blood thinners what are my options?

Bleeding can sometimes be difficult to manage.  Finasteride can sometimes help with bleeding.  Amicar can also help but may interfere with some blood thinners and so may not always be appropriate.  Beyond further surgery with either cautery (electrical) or laser treatment, the only other reasonable option would be some limited radiation therapy.  Stopping blood thinners is not usually a good idea except possibly on a temporary basis to allow the bleeding sites to heal.  Talk to your physicians about these options to see if you might benefit from any of them.  Good luck.  

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute