Urology/Blood in Urine

Question
I had plasma button surgery 2 1/2 years ago for BPH. Following the surgery the longest I've gone without seeing blood in my urine is roughly 2 months. Minimal abdominal exertion results in sometimes pink lemonade looking urine and other times fire engine red urine. Usually clears up within a few days. My urologist surgeon ordered tests to exclude cancer, all negative. His assessment is the blood thinners that i need to take are preventing complete healing resulting in a situation similar to hemmoroids.Other than another surgery to cauterize the bleeding vessels or stopping the blood thinners what are my options?

Answer
Jayp:

Bleeding can sometimes be difficult to manage.  Finasteride can sometimes help with bleeding.  Amicar can also help but may interfere with some blood thinners and so may not always be appropriate.  Beyond further surgery with either cautery (electrical) or laser treatment, the only other reasonable option would be some limited radiation therapy.  Stopping blood thinners is not usually a good idea except possibly on a temporary basis to allow the bleeding sites to heal.  Talk to your physicians about these options to see if you might benefit from any of them.  Good luck.  

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD