Urology/kidney stones

I'm a 65 yr old male and prone to kidney stones. I started drinking lots more water all day; 2-3 liters (I only weigh 120lb).
But because I have an enlarged prostate, I try not to drink much at all after 6pm so that I'm not going to the bathroom more than I already do, about 3 times. Is going without water between 6pm and when I get up in the morning going to cause stones to form? Thanks

The quick answer is yes. You are at risk anytime your urine production is reduced. BPH can be treated better, perhaps sufficiently to allow more normal urination.

Consider a 24 hour urine collection for stone prevention testing and prophylactic therapy.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute