Urology/Retoraortic renal vein

Question
Before a hysterectomy, the surgeon ordered a test which showed my wife had a retro aortic renal vein. In the pre-surgery meeting the surgeon said he would do a simple robotic procedure. During the operation he knicked the vena cava and my wife went into DIC. Luckily she survived. Question should the surgeon have done a non robotic surgery ? We don't think he looked at the test.

Answer
Bob

I doubt the surgeon failed to look at the x-rays or even that the retro caval ureter had anything to do with the surgical problem. A robotic procedure is not unreasonable, but you need to be able to open if you get into trouble. If the surgeon has a track record of problems and lawsuits, then there is a problem. Anyone can have a bad event or outcome occasionally.  

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD