Urology/Venous Leak

Recently I have been having trouble with erections and recently had a Doppler ultrasound. I could not get and erection with the test injection "it was a small amount" and my urologist noticed signs of venous leakage despite good inflow. I can most of the time get decent erecting with stimulation and can also wake up with strong morning wood. I'm scheduled for a second opinion but I wonder if this is a venous leak and if there is any hope of it being fixed.

The results you have indicated are conflicting with some indications of venous leak and others not so.

There is no cure for venous leak, but the fact that you have morning erections suggests a psychological component.

In such cases, we go to a goal oriented or trial and error approach. In other words, the cause doesn't matter, just the result of treatment.

QUESTION: My understanding is a penile implant is the only cure for a leak, am I correct? And is a venous leak always a physical cause or can it be caused by anxiety during the test?

There is no cure for a venous leak. Penile implants are strictly last resort treatment as they alter the anatomy and are irreversible.

The only thing that matters is your response to the avsilable treatments such as Viagra type pills, MUSE urethral suppositories, penile injections and external vacuum devices.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute