Urology/Adult circumcision

Question
What are the average costs with an adult circumcision? How long does the procedure take?  Are there anethesias used?  Are they localized anethesias or do they require you to be knocked out? Are disolvable stiches used?  I've heard horror stories about those.  What should I look for when searching for a qualified urologist? Is this covered by insurance?

Answer
Lot's of questions.  The costs will vary by physician and lcoation so I can't give you a price.  The procedure usually takes about one hour.  Usually in adults we use a general anesthetic.  The procedure can be done with just a local anesthetic, but it's much more comfortable to have the full anesthesia.  Dissolvable sutures are used.  When looking for a urologist, try to find one who is Board Certified.  An affiliation with a medical school is usually good.

My very best advice is to call your local hospital where you would feel comfortable going and ask to speak to the urology surgical assitant or urology technical assistant.  These are the surgical nurses who help all the urologists in the hospital.  Ask them who they would recommend for their own families if they needed a surgery by a urologist.  Chances are they will steer you to the right guy.

Insurance usually covers the procedure especially if it's for a defined medical problem.  If it's just for cosmetic reasons, they may not cover it.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD