You are here:

Urology/Venous Leak and Treatment Options


pret wrote at 2008-06-21 17:34:48

I jus wan to add I'm Young 28 yrs old and I'm aslo suffering from venous leak right through my teens and 20's.I'm in perfect good health no trauma or injury but still could not figure out the reason for the leak..

jake wrote at 2009-05-17 19:08:45
I'd like to address both patient and doctor: I've suffered a very similar fate. I'm a very physically fit person. I was diagnosed at age 30 and the options terrified me. I'm 42 now and have used TriMix injections with great success for the past year.  I wish I'd had the courage to try it sooner. However, like the author, I suffered through enormous confusion and shame about my condition and the medical professionals (and trust me, there have been many) I encountered did nothing to help me make a sound decision that felt comfortable.

The doctor responding here sounds just like the urologists I encountered and frankly, it's a little offensive. It's very easy to say "just do it, you have no choice" regarding a penile implant, but it is a terrifying prospect when you're the one facing it.

I used to be a Pharm. Rep wrote at 2009-10-13 00:08:17
The truth is, I think your assessment that venous leakage is incurable may be a little misguided.

The lack of options available is derived more from a sad economic model then anything else. While some doctors are temporarily curing paralysis with stem cells and physicists are creating black holes with a billion dollar hadron collider, some sections of science, and thus medicine, has failed to progress. Urology, in respect to veinous leakage and most penile dysfunctions, have only progressed in one way since the 1920s. Now as an alternate to using a crude cock ring to physically stop the outflow of your penis, urologists suggest Viagra, Cialis, Levitra, and MUSE.

Which of these blood flow increasing pharmaceuticals will they suggest as being better then the rest? That depends of which company provides the Urologist the largest kickback to prescribing the drug. Should your urologist be receiving checks from Pfizer, then Viagra will be the clearest choice for your treatment of venous leakage. Will it work? Any child who has ever tryed to blow up a mattress with a hole in it knows the answer to this.  

I think the saddest reality is that it is within western medicines capability to repair malfunctioning veins, even taper veins off that produce too much outflow. But, because of the lack of professionalism and money in this sub industry, no doctor will ever have the care or the know how to do it.

Why does this happen? Mainly because being a urologist is not a well sought after position and thus does not garner a large amount of intellectual human resources to the area. The majority of "professionals" in urology are poorly trained; please reference the dismissive way that the doctor above tries to convince you that "its only a problem get over it"

Your issue is most likely something that is out of the spectrum of what "western science cares about". I can at least substantiate this by referring to answering doctors attitude towards your condition. I doubt that getting a second opinion will amount to much, unless it gives you the opportunity to ask the always awkward question of "so how much of your salary is paid for by pharmaceutical endorsements. I would suggest looking to alternative forms of treatment, as your condition has to do with the misdevelopment of pockets in your veins. Speaking to a research Urologist (if such a thing exists) may be more hopeful then your run of the mill state college dick doctor. I would also look into general blood circulation treatments

Darren wrote at 2010-04-14 20:41:31
I am inclined to reinforce the sentiment of the last contributor on the subject of venous leakage and erectile dysfunction.  Many of his comments reflect precisely my own experience in the UK.  I was very much like the young man who started this thread in saying that I would tackle the problem head on and explore all options.

I have had surgery to try to correct the leakage, and as predicted, it did not work.  In fact, the tip of my penis is now slightly numb so the lack of sensation compounds the problem.  Do I regret it?  No, because I would always have wondered what the outcome would have been.  Having said that, if I could turn back the clock I never would have had this intervention.

I am 34 yrs old now, have never been in a relationship and am truly lonely.  I am otherwise very fit and healthy, do lots of running and look quite good, but this is such a deception.  Deep down I have low self esteem, and despite numerous attempts to get help, the medical profession have always let me down, trying to be upbeat about options that really are not options at all.  The way the doctor tried to argue that you should consider a vacuum pump at your age, when not in a committed relationship is dismissive and demonstrates that he is not properly listening.  I also agree that if sufficient money was invested in these area then a solution could be found.  That's what makes this so hard to deal with.

So what do we do?  I don't know.  Part of me hopes that I will meet a woman who will understand and overlook this, but I'm not sure if this is unrealistic.  I guess we are lucky to have two arms and legs, there are lots of people worse off than us.  But then, I am still terribly lonely.  I have a great circle of friends, but not much in the way of a support network, as in family - my mum has died and my dad is elderly and in a nursing home, while my brother couldn't care less.  SO if you have a supportive family, count yourself lucky on that score.  Keep your chin up! I know it's hard, I feel the same as you I promise!  But what else do you do?

I wish everyone good luck.

Phil wrote at 2010-05-14 22:34:21
I am 26 and I have a similar story and have obtained doctors' opinions that paralleled those of Dr. Leslie.

Although I experienced regular and firm erections through adolescence, they began to decrease noticeably around the age of 16, leading to a number sexual failures. I made several trips to GPs and urologists only to be told that the issue was completely in my head. Finally, after my problem had progressed to the point where I could only rarely achieve an erection with my girlfriend, I was able to get a sleep study done where I was found to have physiological dysfunction. Recently, I too have been diagnosed with a serious venous leak, and I also have an upcoming diagnostic test to explore the source of the leak and possibility of surgery.

The prospect of what I might have to face for the rest of my life is extremely frightening. The attitudes that some physicians express can come off as uncaring and, frankly, uninterested in progressing past the status quo of their field. Why shouldn't the root cause of the OP's suffering matter? The treatment is the same because the problem seems so rare that it isn't worth the time and money to bother. I've certainly been branded an anomaly by my urologist. It's interesting, though, to find at least a few others with similar problems--and who knows how many other young healthy males haven't made it through the gauntlet of professional disbelief and their own shame to find a physical cause for their erectile dysfunction?

To the OP: Personally, I think you demonstrated a great attitude about the whole predicament.  I would be very interested the read a status update, and I wish you and everyone else the very best.  

someone who can sympathize wrote at 2010-06-25 09:21:59
I see this is an old question but I hope you will receive my answer.

You are not the only one suffering from this problem. You are not alone; remember that too.

Look up dr. Anthony Atala and stem cell based regenerative madicine. This is cutting edge stuff that is still in clinical trials, and I'm not even sure if there is treatment available already. But the work done in this field is phenomenal.

Take care, my friend.

swleslie wrote at 2010-09-03 14:26:00
Some of the comments made here are quite offensive and unfair to the urologists.  For example, cash payments to physicians in the US from pharmaceutical companies are illegal and prohibited.  

As for urology not being disireable, it is one of the most competitive specialities.  Only the top 10% of surgical candidates have any chance of acceptance into a Urology residency program.  

Research into ED treatments and venous leak is ongoing, but we still recommend many of the standard treatments because they often work.  Surgery for venous leak has been largely abandoned since it doesn't work in many cases and even if successful, it typically fails over the next year or two.  The problem with venous leak is that there is no single, isolated vein.  It's like trying to keep a wet sponge from dripping.  If you stop leakage from one spot, another will leak.

As for how much of my salary is covered by pharmaceutical endorsements, that's easy.  ZERO!  I'd really like to get some of that easy money referred to by "I used to be a pharm rep" if I could find it!

Some university urologists who also do research would include Dr. Tom Lue at UCSF and Dr. Irwin Goldstein in San Diego.  Dr. Wayne Hellstrom is another noted expert.

health person wrote at 2010-10-17 23:41:32
im going through the same thing as you and im only 20 years old...i feel hopeless i was thinking about doing a penile rehabilation surgery but i wasn't sure about you have any advice for that doctor?

EQr wrote at 2011-02-19 23:35:46
Very similar situation to you my friend.  23 y/o, extremely fit, healthy (other than plumbing down below).  Heard same things from doctors, "its all in your head, just take these blue pills you'll be alright." Well I wasn't and am not alright.

However, I have a new hope, which is why I want to share it so you and others like us may see if it works.  It sounds too ridiculously simple to work, but I'm 4 days in and going to give it the recommended 3 months.

What is this new hope?  Pelvic floor exercises, otherwise known as Kegels.  I've found 2 medical journal articles that have shown them to be remarkably effective at curing or improving ED, so I'm giving it a go.  

"Pelvic floor exercises versus surgery in the treatment of impotence"  This study done on patients with proven venous leaks.

"Pelvic floor exercises for erectile dysfunction"  

BeenThere wrote at 2012-06-14 18:56:20
I also have had a venous leak since my teens.  I was fortunate in that it developed slowly, and I was able to have normal relations for a few years, and marry.  I feel really bad for those that suffer from this, and do not have, or have never had a relationship.  My marital "performance" has improved tremendously since my problem has fully developed. I won't elaborate, except to say that a complete physical and emotional relationship is still very possible. I do use a vacuum pump on occasion, but not often.  There is NO NEED to be lonely!  There are Lots of ways to make love!

Leaker:( wrote at 2012-08-27 09:37:44
If you really want to get it up and going, I truly recommend you ask the Doctor for TriMix. This stuff really works and wont let you down, I have been on it for a long time since it hit the market. Biggest turn off about it is that you have to inject yourself on the side of your shaft, really not a big deal and doesnt even hurt its all in the mind. tell you one thing you will not regret it best thing on the market. I have a Doctor that would operate if he could, but as one said above it will find another source to leak. Plus with TriMix I have never experienced any side affects. shoot and bang bang bang litrally. I am given a prescription that last me 3 months and truly its not that expensive..... Ask your Dr about it and you will be inpressed and so will she be.. hope this helps you.  

swleslie wrote at 2012-09-24 19:10:31
In most cases, venous leak does not respond to surgery and if it does it tends to return.  The reason is that it's not a single vein or spot; the whole inside of the erection body tends to leak.  This is something like trying to stop a wet sponge from dripping; if you hold or block one spot, another leaks.  Trimix is a combination of 3 different medication used for penile injections. It works well in many people but should only be used under a physician's guidance.  We typically use it when Viagra-like meds no longer work and the single agent treatment (Edex, Caverject) is not successful

Patient wrote at 2013-08-05 03:29:55
I fully understand your frustration so want to share with you the results of my online research on the subject. I corresponded with an Ayurveda Phdician to discover he has successfully trested two dozens cases with intitial 0-20% erection and improved to 60-80% level. For more info go to his website . He provides free on line consultation

Please note I do not have personal experience with his treatment, the above info is his representations  


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stephen W. Leslie, MD


Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.


Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Awards and Honors
Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute

©2017 All rights reserved.