Uruguay/Visa question

Dear Pete,
Could you answer a visa question for me?  I am a 61 y/o US citizen currently in Thailand on a Retirement Visa.  I'm having a hard time learning to speak Thai and I know some Spanish so I would like to relocate to Montevideo.  I no longer have a legal residence in the USA and I have good pension income.

Can I come to Uruguay on a 90 day Tourist Visa and apply for something long term while I'm in country or do I need to have a long term visa approved before entering the country?  If I can do this after arriving in Uruguay do I get a Residence Card and/or a Retirement Visa?  Any guidance would be welcome.

Regards, John

The following website from the Uruguayan Embassy in New York should answer all of your questions:  http://www.consuladouruguaynewyork.com/english/residency/  

The short answer is yes, you can go there on a tourist visa and change your residency status while in the country.  The website gives you a good summary of the requirements for residency.  If you need, I have an attorney contact there in Uruguay that helps people and businesses with this process.  He is from England and has established a law practice in Uruguay.  Should you need his assistance you can send me your email address in a private request through AllExperts and I can give an email introduction to him for you.

Let me know if the website does not answer all your questions.

Good luck,

Pete Larsen

Pete Larsen

You can ask me questions about culture, government, visas, and travel in Uruguay. Uruguay is a beautiful country that offers much more than the general public would be aware of. Give it a try.

I lived in Uruguay for two years. While there I learned Spanish, which I speak and write fluently. I also learned about one of the most beautiful cultures in South America that comes from a rich Spanish heritage mixed with a lot of Italian and Spaniards and a little bit of German. I travel to South America quite often and have dealt with almost all aspects of life from business to travel to religion to conversing with the shoe shine boys.

BSBA - Business Administration from the University of Pheonix
Juris Doctorate - South Texas College of Law, Houston, Texas.
Fluent in both Spanish and Portuguese