Uruguay/Phones to rent

Anticipating a trip to Argentina in February/March, with leisure touring in Argentina, Uruguay and Chile.  For regional contacts, I would like to rent a basic cell phone (voice calls only) for up to three weeks.  It must be capable of calls within and between those countries.  What can you suggest?  Or can you provide email addresses for Movistar and Claro?

When I travel I just use my US phone, but from other people that I have discussed this issue with, they all agree that Movistar is the best company to use.  Some of them will go on eBay and buy an unlocked GSM phone but be sure that it is a tri band or quad band phone so that it works in Argentina.  Then when you arrive in Argentina, you only need to buy a SIM card for the phone and minutes with Movistar.  

If you are going to be returning to Argentina then leave some pesos on your Sim card. When you return, the phone will receive calls only until you recharge it then it will allow you to continue making calls. You will then retain the same telephone number.

Hope that helps.

Pete Larsen

You can ask me questions about culture, government, visas, and travel in Uruguay. Uruguay is a beautiful country that offers much more than the general public would be aware of. Give it a try.

I lived in Uruguay for two years. While there I learned Spanish, which I speak and write fluently. I also learned about one of the most beautiful cultures in South America that comes from a rich Spanish heritage mixed with a lot of Italian and Spaniards and a little bit of German. I travel to South America quite often and have dealt with almost all aspects of life from business to travel to religion to conversing with the shoe shine boys.

BSBA - Business Administration from the University of Pheonix
Juris Doctorate - South Texas College of Law, Houston, Texas.
Fluent in both Spanish and Portuguese