Uruguay/How to Fly to Uruguay

Hi Pete,

I have become very curious about Uruguay as of late. I currently live in California with my wife but am considering a move out of the U.S. in the coming years. From what I have read and heard thus far, Uruguay seems to fit the bill quite nicely in terms of our ideals. First things first though, we need to visit the country to see how we might fit in. For some reason, I cannot seem to find a flight from California to Uruguay that makes sense. Most flights I've seen have long layovers either in Miami, FL or somewhere in South America. Is there any way to avoid this that you know of? What is the quickest/easiest way to fly to Uruguay from LAX? Airline recommendation?

Also, how does the cost of living compare in Uruguay to Southern California? Any suggestions on neighborhoods to check out while we are there for potential residences? Thanks for your time.

There are no direct flights into Uruguay from the US. Flights into Uruguay usually originate from Argentina, Brazil, or Chile. Flights from the US to those countries usually are overnight flights arriving early in the morning and that is why the layover is long. I have not found a way to avoid this.

A good guide as a cost of living is $2,000 - $3,000 per month per person and it all depends on the lifestyle you want. There is an expat group in Uruguay and they would have ideas on neighborhoods or towns that are best for expats. As for me, I like Sol y Mar, Maldonado, and if you like the country, Salto or Paysandu. These are all outside of the city of Montevideo.

Hope this helps.

Pete Larsen

You can ask me questions about culture, government, visas, and travel in Uruguay. Uruguay is a beautiful country that offers much more than the general public would be aware of. Give it a try.

I lived in Uruguay for two years. While there I learned Spanish, which I speak and write fluently. I also learned about one of the most beautiful cultures in South America that comes from a rich Spanish heritage mixed with a lot of Italian and Spaniards and a little bit of German. I travel to South America quite often and have dealt with almost all aspects of life from business to travel to religion to conversing with the shoe shine boys.

BSBA - Business Administration from the University of Pheonix
Juris Doctorate - South Texas College of Law, Houston, Texas.
Fluent in both Spanish and Portuguese