Used Cars/Buying a jetta, some questions.

Question
Hi, i am going to buy a 2010 jetta limited edition with 16K miles which is still under years of power warranty. The car looks great and I have check the carfax which shows the car is clean title and clean carfax. Is it a good dealing to buy that car in the price of 13.5K? Someone tells me that it is more expensive to maintain a German car than Japanese car. And the reliability of a VW is not better as Toyota and Honda as there is often small problems with VW car. Is that right?
I am a graduate student and I wanna a car with high reliability as I have no time and money to always fix the car. So is it good to buy a VW car? If so, what price is a good deal for this jetta? Thanks!

Answer
Jetta  Book  Sheets
Jetta Book Sheets  
Hi Evan
Based solely upon the vehicles Book Values and the Mannheim Market Report this would appear to be a decent enough price. BUT then I went to Edmunds.com to check and see how aggressive the incentives were on the 2012 and 2013 model years and I changed my mind. Why?

Because when the factory puts really aggressive incentives on a brand new car like VW has on the Jettas then you need to stop and reconsider what the super low mile late model cars should now be worth in light of the fact that they have to compete with the new ones.  
Special APR Month Term Start End
0% 12 11/01/2012 01/02/2013
0% 36 11/01/2012 01/02/2013
0% 48 11/01/2012 01/02/2013
0% 60 11/01/2012 01/02/2013
0% 66 11/01/2012 01/02/2013
0.75% 72 11/01/2012 01/02/2013
Dealer Cash Incentive 1

Requirements and Restrictions:

•Dealer Cash is available towards leasing or retail purchases. Offer may NOT be combined with Volkswagen Credit Special APR, Special lease rates, VCI Lease Bonus or APR Bonus programs.
Dealer Cash Start End
$1,000 11/01/2012 01/02/2013

FOR 2013 MODEL YEAR JETTAS:

Special APR Incentive 1

Requirements and Restrictions:

•Vehicle must be financed through Volkswagen Credit.
Special APR Month Term Start End
0% 12 11/01/2012 01/02/2013
0% 36 11/01/2012 01/02/2013
0% 48 11/01/2012 01/02/2013
0% 60 11/01/2012 01/02/2013
0% 66 11/01/2012 01/02/2013
0.75% 72 11/01/2012 01/02/2013
WITH NO DEALER CASH

NOW...0% interest is a big deal and .75% interest for 72 months is a big deal ...DID YOU KNOW THAT:

If you finance 20,000 at .75 for 72 months your payment would be approx 284.00 without sales tax included  

AND

If you finance 15,000 for 60 months at 4.99 (used car rates) your payment would be 283.00 per month AND you would be driving a NEW Jetta with 16 miles and not 16,000 miles. Something to think about for sure. No repair bills for a LONG LONG TIME.

If the car you are describing to me has a book value (wholesale) like the one I attached to this response then I would want to be no more than 12-12,500. 0% and .75% interest is worth around $3,000 in savings. PLUS you can use KBB.com to find out the dealers invoice number of a new one...

Are the German's better automakers than the Japanese? I think they are in an entirely different leagues ...Honda and Toyota used to make better cars but for the last 12 years or as but since then the mystique has continued (with a few chinks in their armor# only because they attract better buyers and more responsible owners. I would far and away rather drive a VW or a BMW than a Honda Toyota anyday. The Jetta's do sometimes have issues with O2 sensors and the stand behind their warranties ...no problem there.

I hope all of that didn't muddy the water too much ...I am all yours to ask as many follow up questions as you want until you are completely satisfied with the answer and can in good conscience give me perfect 10's and maximum bonus #ego) points when they send you a survey

My direct e-mail address is roadloans@gmail.com

Can't wait to hear what you decide ...

Rog
PS... EVAN   I just received your ratings

I have been answering questions here for two years and pride myself in answering each person's question as thoroughly and completely as possible and even provide them with my private e-mail address in case they had any follow-up questions now or in the future.... In other words I go above and beyond the call of duty. In those two years I have never received anything less than a 10 for my efforts in any of the categories. Was this a typo or did you mean to rate my response this low?

Used Cars

Roger Alvey