Used Cars/Credit Applications for Cash Buyers

Yesterday, my husband and I went to a car dealer from whom we have bought several autos. We had cash to buy a used car. Before we we were allowed to put in an offer, the dealer made us fill out a credit application even though we wanted to pay cash. We were reluctant to give them our social security numbers but they said the law required it after 9/11. This sounds fishy to us. What is the story on this?

Hello Tonya, I have Never heard of that...ever. That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard in a very long time. 9/11 was in 2001 have you guys bought a vehicle from them in the last 11-12 years if so why didnt you have to provide SS #'s then? The simple answer is they dont need your social security numbers. The salesman is trying to find out what kind of credit you have so heshe can show you more expensive or more profitable vehicles. Your social security number isnt an ID card. Your Drivers License is all you need to buy a car. Sorry for the delay. Hope you had a Merry Christmas.  
Thanks for the question.   Shane

Used Cars

Understanding how your credit report is used when purchasing a vehicle. Understanding the "Simple Interest Contract". When to put money down and why. I can give you some basic questions to ask the dealer befor signing your papers. I can answer about any question you have about buying a used car from a dealer. I am in Michigan and laws do vary from state to state. I will always try to help with any question regarding used cars.

I have been a Sales Manager as well as doing Finance for dealers for 19 years, Sub Prime or Special Finance as it is referred to in the buisness. I also have sold cars at Chevy and Ford dealerships for the last 16 years

General Store Manager since 2009 and 19 total years of on the job experience.