Used Cars/Credit Applications for Cash Buyers

Question
Yesterday, my husband and I went to a car dealer from whom we have bought several autos. We had cash to buy a used car. Before we we were allowed to put in an offer, the dealer made us fill out a credit application even though we wanted to pay cash. We were reluctant to give them our social security numbers but they said the law required it after 9/11. This sounds fishy to us. What is the story on this?

Answer
Hello Tonya, I have Never heard of that...ever. That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard in a very long time. 9/11 was in 2001 have you guys bought a vehicle from them in the last 11-12 years if so why didnt you have to provide SS #'s then? The simple answer is they dont need your social security numbers. The salesman is trying to find out what kind of credit you have so heshe can show you more expensive or more profitable vehicles. Your social security number isnt an ID card. Your Drivers License is all you need to buy a car. Sorry for the delay. Hope you had a Merry Christmas.  
Thanks for the question.   Shane

Used Cars

Shane