Used Cars/GTI from dealer

The VW below I am considering buying, but have never bought from a dealer before.  Could you tell me your opinion for the car below?  I am wondering the price I should settle at, and anything I should look out for or consider about this purchase.  Thanks!

Used 2001 Volkswagen GTI GLX
Primary information about this vehicle:
AT Car ID:   AT-1440C09C  
Mileage   119,755
Body Style   Hatchback
Exterior Color   Silver
Interior Color   Black
Engine   6 Cylinder
Transmission   5 Speed Manual with Overdrive
Drive Type   2 wheel drive - front
Fuel Type   Gasoline
Stereo   AM/FM Compact Disc Playr
Doors   Two Door
Stock No.   2014
VIN   View Vin
   Alloy Wheels
   Anti-Lock Brakes
   CD Player
   Cruise Control
   Heated Seats
   Keyless Entry
   Leather Seats
   Power Door Locks
   Power Mirrors
   Power Windows
   Rear Window Defroster
   Side Airbags
   Tilt Wheel
   Tinted Glass

Seller's Description and Comments

Two owner vehicle in excellent condition throughout. History report shows no accidents or problems. Comes with 3 month 3,000 mile powertrain warranty. Silver exterior with Black Leather interior. Equipment includes: Automatic Climate Control, F&R Anti-Lock Disc Brakes, Dual Front Head and Side Impact Air Bags, Power Glass Moonroof, Power Windows, Keyless Remote Entry, Central Locking System w/Automatic Door Locks, Dual Heated Power Mirrors, AM/FM Stereo w/Cassette and CD Player and Monsoon Sound System, Leather Seating, Cruise Control, Tilt&Telescope Steering Wheel w/Touch Controls, Trip Computer, Fog Lamps, Heated Front Seats, Remote Fuel Door & Hatchback Release, Traction Control, Alloy Wheels, Rain-Sensing Intermittent Wipers, 5-Speed Manual Transmission w/Overdrive and 2.8 Liter VR6 Engine rated at 174HP and 20MPGcity/28MPG highway. View additional details, pictures and vehicles at:
All prices do not include any required government fees including: doc fee, sales tax, license fees, smog fee, tire fee and any other required Calif. DMV fees as per state law.

Price excludes government fees and taxes, any finance charges, any dealer document preparation charge, and any emission testing charge.

Book sheet
Book sheet  
ANSWER: I am literally running out the door to a meeting but wanted to get back to you asap. The Manheim market report on this car is 3200 (what dealers have been paying for it at the manheim auctions nationally) ...the wholesale book is $3,485.00. Now if the car is all dressed up with aftermarket goodies those will add a little but not alot ...if the car is jawdropping gorgeous then it can add alot.

One other thing to remember when buying a car like this ...They are really fun to drive! and the person who put the 119k on it know that as well ...look closely for signs of extreme use...assume that this car has gone 199k miles with someone's boot up its ass ...

If you can get this price down anywhere under 4000 that would be a reasonable buy the way to do that is to offer them 3k and go from there ...and never never never negotiate while you are sitting at the dealership it from home via email and text

Gotta run ...if you want to know more then hot me back for a follow up or two...I will even hold your hand thru this purchase from start to finish if you want@!  I have attached the REAL book sheet on this car ,...good luck

QUESTION: Thanks man, good info!  I am test driving this today, so I'll see.

I understand the down side of buying from a dealership instead of private party.  What is good/better about buying from a dealership in your opinion?

I will get back to you when it's buying time.  Any favor requests from you?

Here are the reasons to buy a car from a dealer:

1. They are the only source of new cars and trucks

2. Dealer will take in your trade in and pay it off

3. Most dealers go through a full reconditioning process and address all of the little and big issues

4. Auto Dealerships are huge investments and the dealer's reputation is critical to the future value of his business ...So he will usually do whats right top preserve it.

5. Financing Financing Financing!!!

6. Warranty work on your car after the sale (whether you bought from him or not)

7. Franchise dealers are capitalized in such a way that your payoff will get made on time

It's Saturday in the car business so i will add to this later

Used Cars

Roger Alvey

I can answer any question about the car buying process. I am a recognized industry expert on all issues regarding auto finance, including sub prime and buy here pay here financing, I can answer questions about car lock out systems, GPS monitoring by your bank, and about auto recovery methods and defenses. I am a 20 yr car industry expert and can tell you what to look for in a used car, how to negotiate the deal, help with how to market your own car, and how to negotiate with the internet department of any car store. I can tell you every single way the dealer is set up to beat you and how to avoid those traps, I can discuss all aftermarket and extended service contract products you will be offered in the finance process, I have lectured extensively on "The Best Way to Buy a Car" to civic groups and university students. I am a credit expert and can tell you what the dealer and banks are looking for and the rate you can expect to pay. CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE AT

20 years industry experience in top management of dealerships and dealer groups. Recognized industry expert since 2004 in the Top 10 industry experts for The Gerson Lehrman Groups Auto Industry Council. I also do consulting work for Experts360, Atheneum Partners, Expert Connect and Coleman Research. I have been a franchise owner and understand all facets of the auto industry from the time the car leaves the factory until it leaves the lot with it's new owner. I have written training materials for both the prime and the subprime sales and finance process.

NADA, OADA, NFIB, State Certified Used Car Appraiser

Special Finance Insider, Dealer, and Automotive News, Gerson Lehrman Group Auto Industry Council News (frequently, various industry websites and blogs including my own blog at

Willamette University - Salem Oregon BA Economics Willamette University Graduate School of Business - Econometrics Statistics

GM's Award of (their most prestigious award) Given to Dealers who surpass their annual benchmark planning volume while also maintaining Top Box (top 5%) CSI

Citadel Investment Group , Summit Partners US ,Broad Peak Investment Management, Nautic Partners, LLC, Hellman & Friedman Investors, L.P. and over 40 additional money managers, hedge funds and research groups