Used Cars/Car didn't get proper repairs

My car wouldn't pass deq so the dealer finally agreed to get it to pass.  He knew it was the catalytic converter.  He had my car for approximately a month. They had DME issues, computer issues, getting the vin to match all the parts, etc most of what I don't understand.  Anyways, they gave me the car back with a DEQ certificate of pass and within 24 hours the ses light came back on.  I took it to the mechanic at pro tek (he is the one who did the other repairs) and he tested the code and it is the catalytic converter.  I took it to another mechanic and he too agreed it was the cat. The dealer knew the cat was bad before I took it back to them to get it to pass.  I ran it through DEQ and it failed.  I contacted the DOJ and sent in a consumer complaint.  I then called the dealer and he said he would not throw any more money at the car and that all he agreed to was to get it to pass DEQ and he did just that.  I told him the CAT was never fixed so how did it pass? I know they did something shady to get it to pass.  Any ideas on what I can do?  By the way, I talked to you about this dealer a few months back.  Luxury motors online, Brian Buck and Scott Byrd.  Scott is who I dealt with and he is also a lawyer.  I can't believe it.  Please offer any and all advice!   Thank you so much!  Carrie

Just got back to town and saw your email. I think you may be far as I know all the dealer is legally obligated to do is get it thru DEQ and thats it. It sounds like he did that (somehow) There are a couple of guys who work for DMV who make side deals so you are probably right. I would probably just bite the bullet and replace the cat and then motherfuck them online at places like "ripoff report" where it will never get taken down... Make sure you don't make any statements of purported fact that can be conclusively proven false or you open yourself up for a slander suit but you can call them liars and cheats and things like that ./...stay away from saying things like "they paid off a DMV DEQ tester to get a certificate issued" because thats too close to the line. Other than that I think you would likely lose if you took them to small claims unless you have something in writing saying they would fix the problem and not just get it thru DEQ

Let me know what you decide ...wish I had better news

my email is ...great ratings are always appreciated

Used Cars

Roger Alvey

I can answer any question about the car buying process. I am a recognized industry expert on all issues regarding auto finance, including sub prime and buy here pay here financing, I can answer questions about car lock out systems, GPS monitoring by your bank, and about auto recovery methods and defenses. I am a 20 yr car industry expert and can tell you what to look for in a used car, how to negotiate the deal, help with how to market your own car, and how to negotiate with the internet department of any car store. I can tell you every single way the dealer is set up to beat you and how to avoid those traps, I can discuss all aftermarket and extended service contract products you will be offered in the finance process, I have lectured extensively on "The Best Way to Buy a Car" to civic groups and university students. I am a credit expert and can tell you what the dealer and banks are looking for and the rate you can expect to pay. CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE AT

20 years industry experience in top management of dealerships and dealer groups. Recognized industry expert since 2004 in the Top 10 industry experts for The Gerson Lehrman Groups Auto Industry Council. I also do consulting work for Experts360, Atheneum Partners, Expert Connect and Coleman Research. I have been a franchise owner and understand all facets of the auto industry from the time the car leaves the factory until it leaves the lot with it's new owner. I have written training materials for both the prime and the subprime sales and finance process.

NADA, OADA, NFIB, State Certified Used Car Appraiser

Special Finance Insider, Dealer, and Automotive News, Gerson Lehrman Group Auto Industry Council News (frequently, various industry websites and blogs including my own blog at

Willamette University - Salem Oregon BA Economics Willamette University Graduate School of Business - Econometrics Statistics

GM's Award of (their most prestigious award) Given to Dealers who surpass their annual benchmark planning volume while also maintaining Top Box (top 5%) CSI

Citadel Investment Group , Summit Partners US ,Broad Peak Investment Management, Nautic Partners, LLC, Hellman & Friedman Investors, L.P. and over 40 additional money managers, hedge funds and research groups