Used Cars/Used car

Since our kids are grown it is time to trade in the 02 Escape for a smaller more fuel efficient vehicle. No real preference except it must be automatic and four door. My wife likes compacts, I like full size.
What is out there,  from 2009 and up, that is roomy but good on fuel?
Also, I dont expect to get much for the Escape, but what is your ball park trade in value?

Hi Bud thanks for writing....

Here is my advice ...with regards to the Escape ...sell it yourself and DONOT trade it in. I have attached a copy of the book sheet for a generic XLT Escape w/ 138k Miles (which is the 0 point for miles on an 01) ...Wholesale in this example is 3500 and its worth about 3k to a dealer (actual cash value) can sell it yourself for 4000-4500 on craigslist which is what you should do

I am super rushed for time right this second but I would looki long and hard at the late model Kia's and Hyundais ...they are making some really cool cars right now personal favorite for the last several years has been the Buick LaCrosse...nicer than any comparable Honda Toyota or Lexus...or a 4-5 yr old BMW 5 series ...We get over 26 MPG on the freeway going 75  more later !! Wanted to let you know I saw your question and am on it and you can ask as many follow ups as you want about specific cars or what you should pay and what the best way to buy it is!!  

Used Cars

Roger Alvey

I can answer any question about the car buying process. I am a recognized industry expert on all issues regarding auto finance, including sub prime and buy here pay here financing, I can answer questions about car lock out systems, GPS monitoring by your bank, and about auto recovery methods and defenses. I am a 20 yr car industry expert and can tell you what to look for in a used car, how to negotiate the deal, help with how to market your own car, and how to negotiate with the internet department of any car store. I can tell you every single way the dealer is set up to beat you and how to avoid those traps, I can discuss all aftermarket and extended service contract products you will be offered in the finance process, I have lectured extensively on "The Best Way to Buy a Car" to civic groups and university students. I am a credit expert and can tell you what the dealer and banks are looking for and the rate you can expect to pay. CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE AT

20 years industry experience in top management of dealerships and dealer groups. Recognized industry expert since 2004 in the Top 10 industry experts for The Gerson Lehrman Groups Auto Industry Council. I also do consulting work for Experts360, Atheneum Partners, Expert Connect and Coleman Research. I have been a franchise owner and understand all facets of the auto industry from the time the car leaves the factory until it leaves the lot with it's new owner. I have written training materials for both the prime and the subprime sales and finance process.

NADA, OADA, NFIB, State Certified Used Car Appraiser

Special Finance Insider, Dealer, and Automotive News, Gerson Lehrman Group Auto Industry Council News (frequently, various industry websites and blogs including my own blog at

Willamette University - Salem Oregon BA Economics Willamette University Graduate School of Business - Econometrics Statistics

GM's Award of (their most prestigious award) Given to Dealers who surpass their annual benchmark planning volume while also maintaining Top Box (top 5%) CSI

Citadel Investment Group , Summit Partners US ,Broad Peak Investment Management, Nautic Partners, LLC, Hellman & Friedman Investors, L.P. and over 40 additional money managers, hedge funds and research groups